Sunday, July 31, 2005

Family Ties


A first order of business since leaving my job to begin my work has been catching up on important matters too long deferred. And what's more important than spending time with family? First it was my sister, her husband and son who came out from Ohio for a week. This was truly an event. Karen hadn't been to California since our daughter Erin's wedding nearly three years ago. Denny hadn't been since completing grad school in L.A. almost 20 years ago. And it was a first for my nephew, Justin. We had a great time, and it was a good excuse for me to revisit those San Diego sites we natives usually abandon to the tourists--the zoo, the wild animal park, the traditional scenic spots, etc.

Two days after Karen and crew left, I headed to the airport again. This time I was the one standing in the security line, on my way to visit daughter Lauren and her boyfriend Ryan in Seattle. Lately, visits to Lauren have been prompted by an emergency of some kind, but this time was just for fun. We indulged in the usual girl stuff--shopping, getting pedicures, going out for lunch. And when Ryan could join us we branched out to see the traditional scenic spots, etc. Next on the calendar is a trip back East with Erin to see my dad and his wife, Weyburn. Technology is a wondrous thing. Reaching out and touching someone via phone or e-mail does keep us connected. But virtual hugs leave much to be desired. There's just no substitute for a real visit.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rory and I can't wait to see you. There will be lots of real hugs and real sloppy puppy kisses. Promise.

Sandra Younger said...

Cool!!

Anonymous said...

Only 1 surgery was an emergency. I had at least 2 weeks notice on the other two. ;)

Sandra Younger said...

Oh, well that makes all the difference!