Friday, March 14, 2008

Every Day Is A Blessing


For Stevie C. who asked me to speak at his homegoing celebration:

This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it. My brother Steven would want me to share that thought with you this morning. He would want me to remind you that despite our tears and sorrow, we have good reason to celebrate today.

We can celebrate because Steven is home. His long night of suffering is over. And our long night of watching him suffer is over. The body that failed him has died. But Steven himself is more alive than we. And we will see him again. This is the great hope that sustained our brother Steven. This is the great assurance we share as people of faith.

Some will dismiss our belief in things we cannot humanly perceive as quaint, naive, even delusional. But how then will they explain the courage, the perseverance, the unfailing sweetness of spirit that Steven displayed throughout a long and grueling illness he knew would ultimately take his life? What we have witnessed over this past year, in both Steven’s and Craig’s responses to inconceivable hardship, has been nothing short of supernatural. I asked Steven once how he did it, and he said, “In the middle of the storm, in the middle of the typhoon, you just close your eyes and say, thank you.”

We have a saying in our family: It matters how you finish. And what we mean by that is, it really doesn’t matter what you accomplish or accumulate in this life, how high you rise in society or business or government, none of that matters if you throw it all away in the end. And conversely, it doesn’t matter how many mistakes you make along the way if you learn and grow beyond them. Because in the end what matters isn’t what we’ve done, but who we’ve been. What matters is the content of our character.

When I think of Steven, I will think of a man no more perfect than any of us, but a man of character and commitment, an extraordinary father and a wonderful friend. I will think of a man of faith, who died as he lived, counting every day a blessing and every blessing a reason for thanksgiving. When I think of my brother Steven, I will think of a man who finished well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sandra,
Your words are most eloquent and heartfelt. Yes, Steven Collins was a pure soul and spread much blessing. I will miss that man and his positive nature. Your words are a tribute to this great man.

But then I read about your father. For that, I extend my heartfelt condolences. To lose your dad and such a good friend so close together is heartbreaking.

Your eulogies for both men were wonderful and heart-rendering.

Much love and comfort to you while you mourn the loss of two wonderful men who had been in your life.
-- Sharon Penny

Happy A. said...

Your words, your faith, and your tribute moved me greatly at Steven's ceremony. You said what all of us needed to hear and wanted to say, but did not have adequate language to express.

Thank you for touching my heart, Sandra.