Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Why I Voted for Barack Obama

Finally, after two years of campaigning, election day is here. And whatever the outcome, it's going to be historic.

I have long felt this election is the most critical in my lifetime—in no small measure because I am convinced we have now lived through the worst administration in our nation’s history. An administration that squandered the opportunity of national unity imposed by national tragedy, that instead exploited our fears to advance its own twisted agenda. The havoc that George W. Bush, Dick Cheney and their pseudo-Republican crew have wrought upon this country and across the world in little more than seven years is simply stunning. Who would have believed so much could have gone wrong so fast? If it were fiction, no one would buy it. (If only it were fiction.)

No wonder the president’s approval rating has fallen to 22 percent, the lowest since Herbert Hoover. You'd think all this would ensure a Democratic victory. And yet the presidential race is still too close to call. This is how divided we are as a nation. Why? Because people are afraid. Afraid of losing control. Afraid of others they perceive as different from them. Afraid of change. Or the lack of it.

In essence, I have come to see this election as a fundamental choice between the past and the future, between fear and hope.

I have no illusions that a rookie senator from Illinois can fix all our problems. The system is too entrenched; the problems, too dire and widespread. But perhaps he can begin to turn the ship around, to head us in a new direction.

I realize I may have been taken, snookered by a smooth talker, a man of natural eloquence and amazing poise. But his words, however lofty, strike me as genuine. He seems to speak from a quiet center informed by intellect, compassion and faith. He seems to understand that true leadership is all about service, not power. He is, in a word, inspiring.

And so I dare to hope. I hope this nation will not act from fear yet again, but will instead find the courage to change, to embrace a new era of history. I hope Barack Obama will be our next president.

2 comments:

Kendall said...

Yes We Can!!!
I got goosebumps listening to his acceptance speech. :)

Unknown said...

Today is a joyful day, but part of me is just a little sad because many in our generation resisted this important change called Barack Obama. We were supposed to change the world (remember), but in fact, we embraced the status quo for too many years. We were afraid that change would upend our comfortable existence. At least our children have the courage to welcome change. There is hope for the future.