Tuesday, December 20, 2005

So Pointless

It was another dog show weekend. Not as if I didn't have anything else to do but get up at 5 a.m. Saturday morning to bathe and dry a Newf, then drive to Long Beach and back two days in a row. But I've made a commitment now to pursue Charter's championship, and every show, win or lose, is good practice for the boy. Megan, his junior handler, did a superb job of handling and grooming, and the classes were small, so you'd think with so little competition, my Goliath son would've brought home the points. But alas, we could only manage a couple red ribbons and one reserve, which is to say, the consolation prize of dog shows. I honestly don't get it. No one is more critical than I about my own dogs' chances in the ring, and I say Charter should've won both days. But then I'm not the judge. It's just that for all the effort and expense, to come home essentially empty-handed just seems so, well, pointless.

No comments: