Friday, February 17, 2006

Story Time

Today, well yesterday now since it's 2:20 in the morning, my fire story became part of NPR's current Story Corps project. It just flowed out of me and listening to it myself on the way home via CD gave me goose bumps and made my eyes sting. It is an amazing story, a miracle story. I'm grateful to my friends Lena and Coleen who set up the interview and encouraged me to do it. I'm happy that a story from the Cedar Fire will be documented for posterity in the Library of Congress along with thousands of other stories from American life. And I'm more eager than ever to finish my book.

Update March 2, 2006: KPBS, our local NPR station, aired an excerpt this morning. You can listen to it here.(MP3 4:13min.)

2 comments:

Happy A. said...

Your story was the most talked-about thing that day. I can't wait to hear the interview! And I'm glad it's part of the permanent record and that it has renewed your resolve to finish your book. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

How can I hear it? I didn't know about this! That's very cool!