Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Oyasumi nasai Laji san

Yesterday I got the sad news that my good friend Henry Large died last Thursday, and I'm frankly having quite a time adjusting to the idea of a world without Henry in it somewhere. There was no one remotely like him in my life, and never will be. I knew he'd been sick for quite a while; he hadn't been able to get together for our usual Starbucks moments for the last few months.

I'd been calling and e-mailing to check on him, and each time we talked he sounded terribly weak, but each time he assured me he'd gradually regain his characteristic vigor. The doctors said so. "We'll have time together in the future," he wrote me. He didn't tell me, as his wife did yesterday, that he'd recently been diagnosed with cancer on top of his other ailments. And now, just like that it seems, he's gone. My mind can't get past this one question: What will I do without Henry? I honestly haven't figured it out yet.

Henry long ago lost patience with the church, so no services are scheduled. His wife plans to scatter his ashes on a mountain in Montana where they both were born. Henry would definitely like that. But it doesn't seem right to let him fade away from my life without any sort of pomp or circumstance. So I've been wondering what I could do to honor him at his passing. All I've been able to come up with is this excerpt from my manuscript. I hope it gives you even a hint of Henry.

Our friend Henry Large is an acquired taste. I’d met him a decade before, in an extension class on Japanese language and culture where his studious demeanor, arcane grammar questions and brown polyester wardrobe quickly set him apart as the class geek. Eventually, however, I’d learned there was more to Henry. Much more.

He’d grown up during the 40s, a smartass kid in an unusually refined Montana family. His father, a noted opthamologist, responded to his son’s adolescent pranks by banishing him to military school. From there Henry edged west, going to college in Seattle, working in some undefined capacity for the CIA, even moving to Korea with his bride, Wilma, another fearless Montanan.

They’d lived there for a couple of years, time Henry spent learning his first Asian language and collecting a boatload of grisly stories that seemed to come pouring out of him whenever people were trying to eat. Medieval sounding tales about Korean toilet habits, violent street brawls, and severed heads displayed on spikes.

“Laji san,” I said to him once, using the Japanese derivation of his name as we did in class. “Do you just say everything that comes into your mind?”

He cocked his head, and his eyes bored into me with geekish gravity. “Sandra,” he replied. “I have no unexpressed thought.”

Once in the midst of an elaborate sushi dinner at the home of our Japanese teacher, Henry tanked up on sake and launched into such a graphic and distasteful narrative that Bob, seated beside him, laid a firm hand on his arm.

“Henry,” he said, “it’s time for an unexpressed thought.”

Over the years after their return from Korea, Henry and Wilma had owned a number of bars, a fairly substantial cabinet-making operation, and a menagerie of extraordinary animals, including a huge, precocious dog named Goopa and a rather demanding cat named Doo Doo. All at one time or another I heard about over coffee and Japanese lessons, a habit Henry and I continued on our own long after we’d exhausted the extension catalog’s course offerings. By then of course I’d discovered in Henry a brilliant mind, philosophic insight, surprising sensitivity--and a trusted friend.

Recently, Henry had announced he was going into real estate. So when we’d found a likely house just weeks before, we’d ask him to help us make an offer. And when we’d lost it to a higher bidder, Henry had taken it harder than we had.

“Now don’t you let your lip drag the ground over this one, Sandra," he said. “We’ll just keep looking until we find something even better.”

We did. But it took some doing. After I found the online real estate listing for the house that would become our new home, I called Henry, and we arranged to see the place the next day during my lunch hour. Henry met me at the office, and I climbed into his big green pickup truck for the trek to Wildcat Canyon. It was a wild, circuitous ride.


By the time Henry and I finally stumbled upon the right mailbox and turned off the asphalt onto the right dirt road, we’d explored a half dozen others and asked directions from a man on horseback. At the turnoff, the first property we passed was a mess of twisted metal and heavy equipment surrounding a couple of rusted
old house trailers. From there, the gravel road led straight ahead past a neatly kept geodesic dome and then dead-ended against the closed gate of a chain link fence. Our only option now was a sharp left turn that left us looking straight up at what had to be the steepest skinniest sliver of asphalt this side of Nepal. Henry sized it up in a single word. “HELL-o,” he said and slipped the truck into low gear.


So hello, Henry. And goodnight, my friend. But no need for goodbyes. Your stories, your humor, your spirit, your friendship will always be a part of me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said. He was an extraordinary individual and a blessing to know.