Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Terra Talks About Therapy


Terra was asked to contribute an article to the newsletter published by Paws'itive Teams, a San Diego organization devoted to training and deploying service and therapy dogs. Here's what she had to say about her work in its new goal-directed therapy program. I hope it gives you a good idea of what therapy dogs do and what an important difference they make in the world--not to mention what a special girl Terra is!

Hi, I’m Terra, a champion Newfoundland, an obedience dog, a water rescue dog, a draft dog—and a therapy dog. Yes, I know, it’s quite a resume, but Newfoundlands are working dogs after all, so we have to stay busy! Some people wonder which of my many jobs is my favorite. Well … I do love the bright lights and glory of the show ring, but honestly? There’s nothing better than being a therapy dog!

Why? Because it’s a win-win situation. As a therapy dog, my job is to make people happy; in return, I get tons of compliments and attention. And usually a few treats, too. Besides, I love seeing people perk up when I walk into a room. They may be sad or grumpy or bored, even sick or hurt, but the minute I show up, they start feeling better.

I began my therapy career as a pup, learning from my big brother, Epic, who worked at a convalescent center. Epic had gone to Paws’itive Team’s Therapy Prep School with my human partner, Sandra, so he knew the drill. “Kid,” he said. “You’re gonna be a natural. Just wag your tail, smile and kiss people.” Epic was right. Therapy was easy for me. And so much fun!

I’ve had lots of therapy jobs since then. At the library. At a family shelter in downtown San Diego. Sometimes I put on my “crisis response dog” vest, and Sandra and I drive to disaster sites to cheer up anyone who’s scared or upset. About 3 months ago, I started a great new job in “goal-directed therapy.” This means I get to visit with people and help them learn new things! Our program is called Paws’itive Animal-Assisted Therapy or PAAT for short. Here’s how it works.

Once a week, Sandra and I go to a special high school, where we meet the other PAAT teams and head off together to the classrooms. First we visit with “transition” students, young adults, ages 18-22, with special challenges like Down’s Syndrome, cerebral palsy or brain injuries. Each dog team works one on one with a student, practicing whatever he or she needs to work on. For example: some students need to learn to use their words and voices better. So their teacher and Sandra teach them my favorite words, and if they can say something I know loudly and clearly enough, I’ll sit or lie down or speak to let them know they got it right. Boy, do they get excited then! They smile and laugh! You can tell they feel proud of themselves. Some students need to exercise their muscles, so I let them brush me. Or they throw one of my toys; I go get it and bring it back so they can throw it again. Sometimes they hold my leash, and we go for a short walk.

Each of us dogs works with one or two students, then we take a break. Next, we visit the “at risk” students—kids who get extra attention at this school to help them succeed in school. Our human partners show these students how to take care of us, help us practice our favorite behaviors and even teach us new things. At first, some of them act like they don’t want to work with us. But pretty soon most of them realize how cool dogs really are, how much we like them and want to play with them. And then they get involved and actually have fun. That’s when the treats start flying. Yes!! So far we’ve taught these kids some of our agility, water rescue and basic obedience moves. They don’t always show it, but inside they feel happy and proud to be our partners for a day. (Dogs just know these things.)

Then it’s time to go home. Sometimes Sandra stops by Rubio’s on the way and buys a treat for us to share. When they’re all gone, I curl up on the back seat and take a nap. Making so many people happy can be exhausting. But for a therapy dog, there’s nothing like a good day’s work to guarantee sweet dreams.

No comments: